Friday, June 26, 2009

Caution: RPGs Can Be Hazardous To Your Health

Readers of this blog may or may not know that I recently completed a six-month course of chemotherapy to treat a very advanced case of Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It appears that the chemo was successful, but in the meantime it weakened me considerably. I suspect what really happens that chemo makes you so tired you don't feel like doing anything, and sitting on the sofa staring at the TV for six months is what really weakens you.

But anyway, I had a plastic tote box out in the garage that contained all of my RPG materials, books and geedunk, games as diverse as Dragonquest, The Morrow Project, Traveler, Traveler TNE and Twilight: 2000. The only RPG stuff that wasn't out there was the mass of AD&D stuff, which was in a drawer in the entertainment center.

But anyway, I reorganized my closet and decided to move this tote box of stuff into said closet, so my perhaps irreplaceable RPG source materials won't suffer any more damage from heat, dust and bugs than they already have (they were all sealed in clear plastic garbage bags, but the endless heat was starting to break down the bags).

So I grabbed the tote box and gave it a hearty yank, and the withered muscles of my back and thighs went "Oh, I don't think so, no." It turns out that a tote box full of RPG books weighs a damned ton. I eventually managed to fight it into my closet, making full use of ninth-level curses, but now I'm too tired and banged up to look through the box.

RPGs have hurt me, and now I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment